Tuesday 2 March 2010

Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument Mokupapapa Discovery Center, Hilo, Hawaii

Aloha

Sam and I arrived in Hilo today, on the Island of Hawaii (its nickname is the “Big Island”). I met Linda and Tanya, who work at Mokupapapa Discovery Center. They help teach people what the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands are all about.

(c) National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Map showing all of the National marine Sanctuaries, some I have visited some I have yet to visit. The yellow trail shows Ed's travels thrpugh the sanctuaries so far.

They have a long Hawaiian word for the area – Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument – which I had to practice saying the whole time I was here.

(c) National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Map showing Northwestern Hawaiian Islands

I thought Hawaii only had a few islands – but it turns out it is huge about 1,600 miles long! That’s the distance from London to Istanbul! Wow.

Can't wait to have a look around at this beautiful island.

Bye for now Ed and Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment